Thursday, February 19, 2009

Black Flies Post #2

At the beginning of the chapter, Ollie continues to not fit in 100%, but he is doing better. The other EMTs continue to make life a little harder for him. One thing I am noticing about all the EMTs is their sick humor. For example, Ollie has to work with LaFontaine, who is not the nicest guy in the world. LaFontaine, regarding driving the ambulence and pedestrians, says, "Haven't killed anyone yet, but, hey, three's a charm" (35). While LaFontaine thinks it is funny, Ollie, along with myself, don't quite think so. I think it really must take a lot for someone to joke so nonchalantly about death. Death must be so present in their life that all they can do is laugh about it. I think that is the case for LaFontaine. It is his way of coping.
One thing however that I think Ollie could and does learn from LaFontaine and the others is to loosen up a little bit. On a call where a teenager was shot in the head, but still walking and talking (aka not dead), the patient told Ollie he had a headache. Ollie responded, "Normally I think our patients are complainers. But in your case, you say you got a headache....Hey, I don't blame you"(48). His partner Rutkovsky tells the others and they think its pretty funny. They even take down the grim reaper picture from Ollie's locker. He is starting to fit in more. I think that is one valuable thing he has learned so far. I know he will learn much more in the coming chapters and I am excited to read ahead.

No comments: