Thursday, October 2, 2008

Need vs. Want

I told my mom tonight that i need a new phone. I've dropped mine so many times that there are scratches and dents everywhere and now it can't even stay on without freezing up. She told me to read an article in the SunCurrent about cell phones. Peggy Bakken, the writer, took her son to get a new cell phone because he said he needed a new one really bad. She bought him one but over the next few days it bothered her. She writes about how the poor economic state has forced many families to rely on others just to survive and are really "in need". Children need coats. People need food. She urges people to donate to Coats for Kids this winter. This got me thinking.......while i really want a new phone, do i really need it? It still works (most of the time) and if i didn't get a new one, it's not like i'm gonna be hungary and cold all winter. So for now, I'll hold off my "campaign" for a new phone and instead i'm going to go through our coat closet, grab all of my old coats, and donate them to people who really need them.

I would recommend reading this article because it gives you another perspective on our lives compared to others in our community.
http://www.mnsun.com/articles/2008/10/02/opinion/fw02peggycolumncoats.txt

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel like everybody "needs" a reality check every now and then. Especially in our society people get so caught up in material possesions and don't take time to think about how lucky they are. It's all about who has the newest gadget and people tend to forget what needs actually are. I donate all my old clothes and i think that even just a small contribution could help improve the quality of life for people that are less fortunate.

Julian R.E. said...

Good job distinguishing wants from needs. I think it is good to donate and this year my family is doing the same thing. We have a bunch of old coats in our closets and we are giving them to salvation army or something.

Laney said...

Way to go Katie! Although tech savvy purchases like cell phones and ipods are hard to pass by you were really able to see what is more important, helping others out with the things you already have. I have had many similar instances with my own parents when they have me look deeper into the things i say i want just so i can realize that these temporary wants won't satisfy me in the long run. For example, just the other day i was petting my golden retriever Marcy and I said to my parents "lets get a new puppy". They said that i should be focusing on giving Marcy more attention and love before I can even think about another pet. I realized my parents were right and now Marcy and I go on regular walks to the park. LIke Maggie said, small contribution can help improve the quality of life for others. In this case it would be Marcy's life.

Monica G said...

Cool! I read that article too, independantly of this post. It made me sad. But... the thing is, as much as the thought of people in need depresses me, it's unlikely I'm going to do anything about it. For example, my hair is long enough to give to Locks of Love, but I don't wish to give it up and I'm not going to. It's just that kind of situation-- should we help the rest of the world, or should we help ourselves? I don't understand why the answer is almost always "BE SELFISH!" for me, even if I realize there are other people out there. I think the real reason why I don't give is because I live in a world where there is no poverty; and the thinking of going to visit a new world excites me yet frightens me. It's the universal challenge of human beings; to help others or to help oneself arise. Everything is built upon the concept, governments, countries, towns-- and yet the most common tone is 'help those you know if you yourself aren't in need'. Sad, isn't it?